Let’s get to know Cheree!
Place of Origin
Place of Residence
Languages spoken and how you learned them
English - Learnt English growing up.
Afrikaans - All my schooling was done in Afrikaans.
*I grew up in a fully bilingual home where my mother spoke Afrikaans and my father English.
German - I signed up to Chatterbug in January (after watching many of the A1 classes on YouTube). I am currently at A2 and making great progress.
When did you start tutoring with Chatterbug?
Favorite place in the world and why?
This is a tough question as I’ve done quite a bit of traveling, and have experienced many incredible places. My favourite place in the world is a draw between:
- Experiencing the landscape from Grímsnes (a volcano crater in Iceland).
- Snorkeling off the coast of Phi Phi Island (Thailand).
The most magical place in the world: Disneyland - I am a HUGE Disney fan!
Cheree’s Favorite Food
Braai meat (barbequed meat) prepared by my father. This would include fillet steaks, lamb chops and Boerewors (a South African term used to describe sausage).
On the side we would have braai broodjies (tomato, cheese and onion sandwiches toasted on the braai), potato salad, and carrot salad with raisins. This would all be prepared by my mom.
Nothing beats a braai on a Saturday afternoon!
3 Fun Facts about Cheree
- When I was young, I thought that the actors/actresses on dubbed TV series had a special talent of speaking in English while moving their mouths differently. I used to practice this for hours - I failed.
- My favourite German words is “Schmetterling”. It is so much fun to say!
- If I could be a superhero, I would choose to be Mary Poppins! She is practically supercalifragilisticexpialidociously perfect in every way!
How do you motivate students?
I remind them to breathe!
Every class should end with the student feeling great about what they’ve just achieved. I make sure to acknowledge their improvements.
As I am also a student, I tend to draw a lot from my own experiences. I try to use the material in such a way, that the student can draw from their own experiences as well.
What is your favorite Chatterbug moment?
Coming 3rd in the Chatterbug German Game Day. This made me realize how much I have improved!
Say hello to @ChereeKr!