Let’s get to know Toby!
Place of Origin
I was born in the farthest southwest of Germany, in a town nestled between the Black Forest (origin of cuckoo clocks and cruel German fairy tales) and the Kaiserstuhl (famous for warm summers and pretty decent white wine).
Place of Residence
Here and there - but for now, I pitched my tent near Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany.
Languages spoken and how you learned them
I learned the basics of French, Italian, Spanish, and English in school, but the best way to master a language is to use it constantly. That’s why I’m a big advocate for travel, living abroad, and using Chatterbug’s Live Lessons!
When did you start tutoring with Chatterbug?
Favorite place in the world and why?
Because I’m a nomad at heart, this place is changing all the time. Imho it doesn’t really matter where you are when the sky turns purple and you sit there contemplating with a glass of wine and good company, don’t you think?
Toby’s Favorite Food
Authentic food is always a winner. I like salty more than sweet and I can’t say no to a good Vietnamese Càphê.
3 Fun Facts about Toby
- I cut my own hair since I was 15 years old. (my folks refused to pay for a mohawk)
- I was the lead singer and guitarist in a pretty bad punk rock band.
- I crossed the Pacific Ocean from Hongkong to Alaska on a sailboat without knowing much about sailing.
How do you motivate students?
- By creating a safe space for the student to feel comfortable making mistakes.
- By finding that language learning sweet spot, where it’s just hard enough for the student to stay engaged, but not overwhelming.
- By keeping it light. It’s key to have fun while learning new things.
What is your favorite Chatterbug moment?
Reflecting with my students on the progress they made the last couple of months and see them amazed by their own capabilities. Learning a new language is great for self-confidence!
Say hello to @Toby!